29 August 2007

Peu de Progrès

Apparently, for this new job that I have accepted...I need to move to Durham, NC in the next week and a half. My first day will be September 10th. It's not like I didn't know that. But preparation sure has snuck up on me!

I have a mere two and a half days left at my current job and then a week to pack and move. Whew. I'm feeling overwhelmed already.

Thanks to the grace of some higher power, I have amazing friends and family. My mom is coming down to help me pack this weekend, and I have the amazing fortune of an invitation to live with some close friends in Durham, while I get my bearings about me.

Getting out of the DC area is harder than it seems. I have a ton of stuff, which will be staying up here temporarily. My goal is no furniture now. Just the essentials. I will be leaving behind most of my stuff for the time-being, while I get settled in the Durham area and figure out which area would be best for me to live in. I'm trying to orchestrate a friend taking some boxes down to NC for me. Mostly, though, I will be moving my own stuff down.

How do I know what to take with me on my first move down there?

Here's a preliminary list:
  • Toiletries
  • Clothes
  • Laptop
  • My favorite pens
  • A couple notebooks for scribbling
  • A couple good books to read
  • A good selection of notecards and stationary
  • A few knitting books and patterns
  • Yarn for a few upcoming projects and an extra stray skein or two for hats (and of course the projects that I am currently working on)
  • Spinning wheel
  • Fiber
  • Some sheets
  • Towels
  • Framed pikkies for my room
  • A couple key plants
  • Bike
  • Wok
  • Spatulas
  • Moka
  • Travel coffee mugs
  • Nalgene bottles
  • Lunch bag
  • A couple tupperware containers
  • Office decorations
What else should I bring on this first round to help me get settled?

4 comments:

herding tapeworms said...

you probably shower with it, but just thought i'd say it anyway -- the iPod. don't forget the iPod.

Sara said...

Shoes? Pillows? (you might have already thought of those..)

I assume under 'office decorations' you're including a framed picture of the OD. Or maybe just one person in particular?

hehe

Knitty Pilgrim said...

Believe it or not, it was not too many years ago that the Pilgrim lived in Raleigh, NC. The Pilgrim, in sooth, has moved around quite a bit over time. Anyway, rest assured that it is quite possible to have a very nice life in that neck of the woods.
N.B., The Pilgrim was not "Knitty" during that phase, however, so he cannot vouch for the quality of supplies in the area. Look forward to hearing your take on all of that!
Do keep us posted!!

http://knittypilgrim.blogspot.com/

bruiser said...

you also need to teach me how to knit before you move. i need to have something to occupy my weeknight evenings.