02 October 2007

Planning, collecting, thinking...

It's been several years since I lived by myself...and I lived by myself in a house too big for me. It felt lonely and weird and empty.

Now, as I look toward the future and think about trying to find my own place here in Durham, I keep coming back to coffee. I love coffee, although, I think I'm far from a connoisseur. I use it recreationally, and I wouldn't even go so far as to say that I have an addiction. I enjoy my morning cups, but not in a full-test, headache, grumpy way.

A couple months ago, I started thinking about my parents coffee pot when I was a kid. They had a Corning percolator with the popular cornflower blue pattern on the side, which happened to match their cute little Corning tea pot. I googled these things and found these images on Hoobly.com.















Of course, back when my parents were using this percolator, there weren't quite so many coffee shops, less espresso and I wasn't even drinking coffee yet. I don't know if the percolator shit the bed, or if it was just deemed antiquated, but we eventually ended up with a fancier coffee pot which had a clock and a function to program it to start at a certain time.

Curiosity is making me want to find myself a percolator and taste it's coffee...

I ended up searching around on eBay and several other online stores for vintage coffee pots. It was fascinating. They're different and beautiful in their own ways...even the ones that are ugly by today's standards.

Since that search expedition, I've been daydreaming of having my own apartment or house with some sort of small display cabinet of coffee pots.

Here are a few varieties that I'd like to have (all images borrowed from eBay):































3 comments:

nancy said...

oh my yes. i am not a grumpy addict, but i really look forward to my morning coffee. and i have my own little array of coffee pot curios-including a copper turkish coffee pot my mother got as a wedding gift. mine aren't displayed (unless they're on the counter or the stove and in use!) but I think that sounds like a lovely idea...

Clevelandgurlie said...

Isn't it funny -- the things that make us feel happy inside. Like remembering your parents percolator! I too remember these blue and white corningware pots - my grandma had one and you're right - percolators do make the most delicious coffee. I have a percolator (albeit an electric one - but a percolator none the less!) and it beats Starbucks hands down!! Cheers!

Julie said...

My mom had the same Corning teapot when I was a kid. We had the whole set of dishes too! Such happy memories. I now have a little glass and metal Silex percolator but haven't tried to make coffee in it. I really should.