03 January 2008

Listen to the Mustn'ts

There's a lot I don't remember from my childhood. It all fades away like a radio station as you head into the mountains - patchy and scratchy with moments of clarity, seconds of recognition before it fades away again. I do remember devouring the poetry of Shel Silverstein as a kid though - I still have my hardback copy of Where the Side Walk Ends - the one I bought for my dad and then kept for myself.

It's interesting as an adult to stumble onto things from childhood that shake one's memory.

I like to play connect the dots as an adult with those pieces of childhood and the pieces of adulthood. I love the fact that Shel Silverstein not only wrote Cash's famous song, "A Boy Named Sue" but he also won a Grammy for it. And he of course, also wrote the song "Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout (Would Not Take The Garbage Out)."

But sometimes there are pieces of these childhood pieces that pop up in unlikely places, like on un-friend's generic networking site pages. Despite the negative connotation of that scenario, I cannot help but revel in Shel Silverstein's words:

Listen to Mustn'ts, child, listen to the Don'ts.
Listen to the Shouldn'ts, the Impossibles, the Won'ts.
Listen to the Never Haves, then listen close to me.
Anything can happen, child, Anything can be.
-Shel Silverstein


It seems that the world would be a happier place if more people read Shel Silverstein.

1 comment:

belle epoque said...

oh i love Shel Silverstein, and that poem has ALWAYS been my favorite (along with the one about how to get out of washing the dishes by dropping them, hee)