19 March 2008

Credit Card Shopping, etc

I've been thinking more about what my post-debt approach to my finances will be, and about reward cards and how they operate, and if they're right for me or not.

On my post about identifying my behaviors that got me into my current debt mess, my friend Liz left me a link to a New Yorker article about how we get duped by things like rewards cards and other appealing promotional offers. For those still in debt, use the Motley Fool as a resource. I love finding information on financial websites that enforces the conclusions that I've come to (ever so slowly) by myself: The Motley Fool's How To Get Out of Debt Guide. In general, I think their Credit Center has a lot of excellent information on it.

Here's an article about picking the right rewards card, which I found interesting because it does state right there that rewards cards are not for those who are carrying a balance. MSN Money also has a great Credit Card Anaylzer. You can use it to help you find a credit card that matches what you need in a card - airline rewards, low APR, low APR on balance transfers, cars - you name it.

Having taken my debt seriously, and committing myself to paying them off, I feel that my life has improved and that it will continue to improve. Learning to live within my means, and learning to keep to a budget are both really important skills to have.




In knitting news:
Ever since finishing my knit tank top from 2004, I have been basking in the glow of having finished a long forgotten UFO. I am suffering from a lack of motivation to finish my Portland Pullover. This is the perfect weather for this type of light and airy sweater, but no matter, instead, I have started a new project.

Sunday night, I cast on Kate Gilbert's Peapod Baby Set. I'm knitting it in Bernat Softee Baby, a washable acrylic that seems to be working pretty well. The pattern adorable. As you can see, I'm through one full iteration of the leaf pattern, and it's turning out really well. I don't think it will be a particularly quick knit, but I think it will be a nice one. I should try and remember to add a couple lifelines just in case though...



In other news:
One of my African Violets is looking better than ever! I think it probably has to do with the happy view it has from my bedroom window.



No comments: