28 July 2008

Things that Make a Difference

"Never lose the child-like wonder. It's just too important. It's what drives us."

"You get people to help you by telling the truth; by being earnest. I'll take an earnest person over a hip person every day, because hip is short-term, earnest is long term."

"It's not about how to achieve your dreams. It's about how to lead your life. If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you."


Randy Pausch died. He became an accidental celebrity through the internet and a series of lectures that he did after being diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer.

When I first saw the video of his "Last Lecture," I was moved to tears. It's touching, honest and raw. He knows that he doesn't have a lifetime left to fumble around life - so, like a laser beam, he gives clear and concise advice and insights.

I think that his quips and stories boil down to something that I like to say: We should aim to do as little damage as possible to each other, and we should aim to make the most of ourselves.

In his honor, I politely request that everyone do something good, nice or that they've always wanted to do. If you're not sure what to do, consider supporting Climb for Hope. My friend, Luke, is participating and has already raised 2/3s of his goal!

A great friend of our family passed away a few years ago from breast cancer. I know that cancer touches many lives.

Please consider supporting Climb for Hope.

2 comments:

borntoride said...

xoxo :)

eje said...

Randy Pausch's Last Lecture video made me cry, too.