16 September 2008

How to bastardize your dinner and your kitchen

Last week, I went shopping on Thursday so that I would have some food for this week. I picked out several specific recipes that I thought I had about half of the ingredients for - the other half of which I would purchase.

I made my list directly from the recipe and my memory of my pantry.

The one thing that I knew I didn't have, and didn't plan to purchase was bread crumbs. I can make my own bread crumbs, thankyouverymuch. Sadly, I did manage to turn the food processor on without the lid, which spewed forth copious amounts of freshly made bread crumbs. It's never good to be cooking while vacuuming your kitchen.

Dinner turned out pretty well considering I was under attack by the Ghost of Recipes-Not-Followed.



The meal ended up being delicious and definitely satisfying on a long day of gray skies and incessant rain.

Just for comparison sake, however, take a look at the recipe's ingredients:








Original Recipe Ingredients:

Toasted Barley with Baked Goat Cheese
My Recipe:

Turmeric Lentils with Baked Goat Cheese
Quick Cooking Barley

Vegetable Broth

Sliced Green Onions

Frozen Peas

Fresh Mint

Goat Cheese

Bread Crumbs
Red Lentils

Vegetable Broth

Sliced Green Onions and Garlic

Frozen Lima Beans, Frozen Corn and Shredded Carrots

Turmeric, Cayenne Pepper, Balsamic Vinegar

Goat Cheese

Bread Crumbs


It's not 100% different but really barley and lentils are very different...and so are green peas and limas. So, I was missing 3 of the 7 ingredients. And I substituted those and added another 3 and some crazy spices. All in all, the recipe I ended up with is completely enjoyable. Coupled with some Marsalis and a martini, I'm happy as a clam.

No comments: