30 September 2008

Travel recap, delayed flights and tendinitis

I spent this weekend in NYC with Roja Soñolienta and company. While she spent time talking with the law schools of her choice (which, of course, includes Duke Law), I explored Brooklyn. With 3 of my favorite people, I went to a delicious and adorable crêperie called Le Gamin. A few things about the place: their website is in no way representative of how great the restaurant is, their cheese plate is out of this world, they make a damn good cuppa joe, they have a new mobile unit (which I'd probably try to carjack if I lived in Brooklyn), and last, but not least, the closest subway stop is NOT Atlantic Ave.

(Lovely image borrowed from Flickr.)

Après brunch, we trekked over to the Brooklyn Museum of Art. I had read great reviews of their surprisingly good collection, but despite that, I was still astounded. We spent hours enjoying the museum, their coffee and a respite from the drizzle. It's so close to the subway that it would be a shame for any New Yorker or Brooklynite to overlook. I loved Judy Chicago's The Dinner Party and the Art Deco section.

Once we felt sufficiently cultured, we all parted ways for some snacks and rest before a Thai dinner and a night on the town. We partied at Kalli Lounge's Nutz for Nastia Dance Party, which was so painfully lame, that I hardly knew what to do with myself. In the hour we were there, we each had at least 2 disgusting, free vodka drink, and gawked at many an unfortunate lesbian in spandex. At 11pm, we all turned into pumpkins in search of a better scene. Piling into the back of a car, we headed to the place where dreams come true, Catty Shack. The music was good, the lesbians were wastey-faced and there were scantily clad ladies on the bar. Despite these enticements, I departed in a timely manner so we would be somewhat well rested for an early brunch on Sunday.


Even with 8 hours of sleep, we were still not ready or dressed when our brunch date arrived. We quickly threw ourselves together for an excellent meal at Alice's Tea Cup. I'd eaten there once before, but I had never tried their amazing Roasted Cumin Carrot and Tapenade sandwich - so odd, yet so scrumptuous. We hit up the farmer's market, the Museum of Natural History and H&H Bagels (another place where dreams come true.)

We had a great time, which made up for my travel woes. Delayed and canceled flights, copious amounts of zucchini bread, turbulence, and surprise Amtrak rides all made for an interesting trip. Normally, travel woes are alleviated by hours of delightful knitting, but I've been having issues due to knitting induced tendinitis. Sad for me. Instead, I had to resort to finishing off a sudoku book.

I carried with me my knitted gifty and this lovely red merino handspun that I want to knit a drapey pretty scarf out of...

That will all have to wait until the severe pain in my hand subsides.

6 comments:

borntoride said...

I'm not sure why yall thought a party/club with the words "Nutz" and "Nastia" in it could EVER be a good idea....

sorry bout your hand. i have some nurofen plus that could temporarily help.

bruiser said...

hope the tendinitis goes away soon. in the meantime you can keep yourself occupied with 90210 reruns.

Nancy said...

sounds like such a fun trip! hope your hand feels better soon!

Jadielady said...

Oh no :( I hope your hand feels better soon! I'm glad you had a fun time :)

herding tapeworms said...

sorry your hand is jacked up :(

herding tapeworms said...

ps. prepare to field many nyc qiestions when we finally get up there...