09 September 2008

When I grow up...

Is grad school a product of having lost one's pizazz and one's motivation to keep working hard at a soul-sucking job? I like my job...and therefore, I don't necessarily feel the need to catapult myself out of my current career because of job dissatisfaction. I do feel an urge to go back to school, learn more, hone my skills and strengths, and attack a different sector of the job market.

Recently, while alternating between knitting, watching 90210 and Sex and the City, I've been thinking about how unmotivated I am as far as grad school is concerned. For the last few years, it has seemed to me, that I ought to know what I want to go to school for before I start chasing hoop dreams of GRE and GMAT scores... Not so. The bottom line: I need to begin studying for both the GMAT and GRE. I just need to do it and get it out of the way. I'm finally beginning to formulate thoughts on what I want to be when I grow up. Several years ago, I polled my friends while squished around a table at Murky Coffee. I asked what they thought I should be. Business person, in advertising, counselor.

I thought a lot about their answers and have been thinking that maybe what I need to do is try to blend those things with my strengths, and work towards whatever that combination is.

Recently, I've been thinking quite seriously about the prospect of getting an MBA/MPA. Master of Business Administration/Master of Public Administration. My thoughts on this are so fledgling that I'm not entirely sure where to go from here, but the bottom line is, first I need to take the tests. Without the GRE and GMAT, I can't possibly know if I could be competitive to get into the very, very few combined MBA/MPA programs.

I'd like to be. For me, I think that being at that interface of business and government (and nonprofit organizations, if you're into that sort of thing) would allow me the opportunity to challenge myself and be successsful. There are problems with this thought process...there are few programs that offer joint MBA/MPA degrees.

MBA/MPA Programs:
There are a handful more...but I might have to rethink this. Perhaps I should spend some time this evening looking into MBA/MPP programs...or maybe I should just buy a lottery ticket.

Who knows where I'll end up though. First I need to start studying.

Sadly, my prep books are a bit unequal between GMAT and GRE. Thanks to Joan - I have a huge stash of GMAT books...and only one sad and lonely GRE book.



I suppose I look rather serious with all of these books, but sadly I'm not. My coworker who has just started studying and is using a 2003 prep book is a good deal more serious than I.

I suppose having a piss-poor GPA doesn't induce a gung-ho attitude about standardized tests.

1 comment:

borntoride said...

interesting. that's a lot of GMAT books. damn. let's talk about this Saturday. I have some ideas.