30 October 2008

Do you hear the people sing?

Man, I tell you what, I'm getting nervous. Jittery, nervous, frightened...and hopeful.

Being the ridiculous musical queer that I am, I enjoy all musicals. Over and over again, in my head, lyrics from Les Miserables. So long have I associated these song lyrics with the fight to repeal Don't Ask, Don't Tell that I have been amazed at the connection to Barack Obama's campaign. And now, now that they belong to Barack, I can't separate the two. Barack can have them. He gives me hope and that, ladies and gentlemen, is just what this country needs.

Do you hear the people sing?
Singing a song of angry men?
It is the music of a people
Who will not be slaves again!
When the beating of your heart
Echoes the beating of the drums
There is a life about to start
When tomorrow comes!


As we creep closer and closer to the election, I worry about the vast divides. The divides between the polls and the people, the divide between "Yes We Can" and "The Devil You Know," the divide between talking and doing, the divide between Hope and IHateYouGodDamnRepublicans.

So, I have cast my vote.

I voted early.

But I'm still agitated. The "what ifs" are coming at me from the corners. I feel so deeply invested in Obama and the future, and I cannot handle to be disappointed...again.

So, I encourage you all: Join in the fight that will give you the right to be free!

Without further ado, two videos that I think are entertaining enough to pass on:



No comments: