02 November 2008

Pirates and Zucchini and Houses, oh my.

I tell you - I haven't knit in over a week. I have, however, assembled a Halloween costume in under 10 minutes. I went to the River Side High School homecoming football game. It was definitely pretty cold out - much colder than I'd remembered my own high school football games being. The River Side Pirates didn't win...the game seemed to have been a comedy of errors. They did present a winning and lovely homecoming court.

Afterward, I headed over to my friends Anne and Nathan's for a wonderful Halloween party, complete with political costumes and Bud Light. I was out until all hours of the morning, just like the party animals that I imagine myself to be. (Although the amount that I personally slept this weekend, indicates my true nature.)

We spent Saturday between Guglhupf (my favorite breakfast place in Durham) and the Duke Forest walking trails. It was a gorgeous day - I couldn't believe how warm and beautiful it was out. Talk about Indian Summer. I started out the day in a fleece and ended up in a t-shirt. I was thankful that I could strong arm Jiff into cooking her magical, mystical Red Devil Sauce - I'm not sure exactly what's in it, but it's so good that I HATE having to share it. We met up with a coworker of mine for beers and pool...and confirmed that we all suck at pool.

Today, after waking late, I did some cooking and baking. I dove into cooking early. I made an omelette and some delicious zucchini bread. The recipe that I used is excellent - it's not the same moist but dull bread I'm used to. It's chunky, solid and serious. Delicious. You can find the recipe here: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Maple-Zucchini-Bread/Detail.aspx



I spent part of the day toying with the idea of buying a house. It's not something I'd thought much about, but given the economy, it seems that it might be wise. After 5 years at Duke, I'm vested in the retirement money they have set aside for me. (Of course, the unspoken is that I actually do really like my job, and I've become rather fond of the Durham area.) I was able to drag Jiff around to a number of small bungalows today...all cute, some better values than others. I don't know much about house buying though, so, I'm not nearly ready to seal the deal. Regardless of where I live, let's hope I can keep up my baking and cooking frenzy.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

oh wow, yum! how many zucchini did it take? do you think flax seed would work as well as wheat germ? i want to go to the market and get some zucchini and make this RIGHT NOW!

Cindy said...

Houses are nice, but the upkeep can be the pits.