16 November 2008

Realize that everything connects to everything else.

So says Leonard DaVinci, so says I.

kar·ma (kärm)
n.
1. Hinduism & Buddhism The total effect of a person's actions and conduct during the successive phases of the person's existence, regarded as determining the person's destiny.
2. Fate; destiny.
3. Informal A distinctive aura, atmosphere, or feeling: There's bad karma around the house today.

I'm not so sure that I've been conducting myself in a way that would allow me to be successful at achieving the next level of my existence. When I speak about karma, which I do rather frequently, I use the term to mean you get what you give.

Bad things happen in 3s.

1. Bad pap smear - resulting in rather painful and extended colposcopy where they removed 3 sets of tissue samples. The first sample was removed with a rather dull set of forceps. Yowsers - severly painful.
2. Car accident on election day. It was a fender bender - nothing serious, but a good reminder to pay attention to my driving and my behavior.
3. Driving into a parking deck with low clearance with my bicycle on top of my roof racks. Car and racks are ok, but were forcibly removed. When I have a spare couple of hours, I'll put the system back together.

I guess the moral to the story is, I need to watch my Ps and Qs. (And for the record, that's not minding your "pleases" and "thank yous". I like to lean toward the tavern definition - pints and quarts - or the printing press definitions - don't reverse the letter p with the letter q.)

Proverbs 26:27
Whoso diggeth a pit shall fall therein: and he that rolleth a stone, it shall return upon him.

I'm a slow learner. I'll get it eventually.

2 comments:

Elaine Saunders - Complete Text said...

Whilst writing my book about pub history I discovered a third definition behind "Mind your Ps and Qs”. When landlords chalked pints and quarts up “on the slate” they weren’t averse to adding a few extra marks. It’s therefore a warning to customers to watch the bill.

Instead of chalking up on the slate, London Market porters had their drinks marked on a strip of leather or tab, hence “running a tab”. It’s also said to give us the expression “strapped for cash”

Elaine Saunders
Author: A Book About Pub Names
Complete Text
It’s A Book About….blog

borntoride said...

aww sarah i'm sorry you had all those bad things happen. glad it's over though - you are right about bad things happening in 3s. thankfully for us there is no limit on good things happening :)

why is there a handicap symbol below where I try to post this? i just noticed that...