17 March 2009

S.A.D. St. Patrick's Day

Happy St. Patrick's Day to everyone. I don't have much of a jig in my step today. I haven't been felling well this week, and I'm currently bundled up and sitting on my couch with some ginger ale and my cat. This should be my favorite holiday considering the color green is involved, but I'm just not feeling it today.



Last night, in an attempt to add some cheer to the 4 days of grey and rain that we've had, I added some red and yellow tulips to my apartment. It helped slightly. When you're not feeling very well, what better way to feel better than to add something beautiful. The levity they added was short lived, but only because I couldn't keep myself awake for too long. I have been getting a decent night's sleep each night, but never a great night's sleep. While my mom was in town this weekend, I got only one good night of sleep, as Friday night I spent tossing, turning and the just ended up getting out of bed just after 7am.

I had hoped that today would have some sunshine to greet me, but alas, that is not the case. We're onto our 5th grey day. Last year, my first winter here in Durham, I was really surprised to find that there is so much rain and cloudiness. The summer and spring are so full of sunshine and warmth that it didn't occur to me to predict what the other side of the coin would look like. So, here I am, winter #2, and I'm slogging my way through Seasonal Affective Disorder (S.A.D. or some semblance thereof). Good times. Most days I'm good at creating my own sunshine - tulips, cooking (this week alone I've got a spinach quiche, my own take on Chilaquiles, and colored peppers stuffed with Moroccan flared bulgar wheat), reading, knitting, my houseplants, and going to see shows like Fiddler on the Roof... At this point though, I'm ready. I'm ready for the sun. And I am completely excited that the clouds are supposed to burn off today, but even more excited that it will be 71° and sunny tomorrow. I can't wait!

No comments: