16 May 2009

Getting the Most Out of Life

As I was thumbing through my internet, I stumbled across an article: 6 Questions to Ask Yourself to Get the Most Out of Life. Continuing on my previous post about my updated list of 101 Things...well, these questions seemed like a good way to just generally check on how I am living my life. And I'm not sure that I'm passing the test as successfully as I would have liked.

I thought this questions were pretty good ones. I'm always interested in self-evaluation and tracking where I am in my thoughts about different things.

1. Who do I love, and what am I doing about it?
--> I love my friends and family very much. I try to express this to them by calling them and sending them packages and cards. I try to see them as often as possible.

2. Am I pursuing my dream, or is fear stopping me?
--> Let's be honest. Fear is TOTALLY stopping me. I'd like to get an MBA and convert to Judaism and both are somewhat paused currently. I've come up with a plan and a schedule though with the goal of helping me push through the summer and come out ahead of where I had hoped to be. Fear of debt and change has stopped me, but I'm working that out.

3. Am I doing something that matters?
--> I think that the work I do at my job will have a positive impact on the people that I'm affecting, but I can't say that I'm really making a positive difference in the world in that capacity. In my personal life, I think I am doing lots of things that do matter now and will continue to matter in 5 years.

4. What am I doing to help others?
--> I volunteer. I try to be inclusive and kind.

5. Am I as good a person as I want to be?
--> No, but I have great hopes for myself.

6. What am I doing to live life with passion, health and energy?
--> I am trying to approach all that I do with gusto and a joie de vivre. Whether love, friendships, other relationships or hobbies, I try to reach out as far as I can to connect with whatever I'm doing. I've been scolded for being too quick to fall in love and too quick to share too much about myself, but I don't think that those things are faults. I would consider them strenghts, as they are a part of my energy and passion for life. I am trying hard to live my life passionately and engage as much as possible. From popular culture to art, from music to theater, from sports to literature, from cycling to cooking, and simply trying to experience the world around me, I am trying to be very active in how I live my life. I look forward to spending more energy on preparing myself for the academic and religious journeys that lie ahead.

No comments: