13 May 2009

How Does Your Garden Grow?

My last few months have been a torrential downpour of emotion, confusion, frustration and renewal. Between relationships, family, friends and their untimely relocation, plants with unending soil mold, putting off studying for the GMAT, and not attending Shabbat every week like I should, I'm all over the map. It's only now, that I'm finally embracing renewal. After spending time with Mom this weekend, thinking about and talking about plants and local veggies, having my own organic/locally grown picnic, and watching some good ol' hockey, that I'm starting to work on figuring out what I want.

I want more mint. I want stronger basil. I want a different type of parsley. I want to seed my veggies earlier next year, and I want lots of tomatoes. I just have the sense that I bit off more than I could chew this year - too many plants, not enough pots.

Since I'm already far into the planting season, and I'm slowly realizing where I went wrong, I am looking ahead to the future. It's only through mistakes and frustrations that we can move forward to growing and cultivating exactly what we want. And now I know.

I know that even though I think the type of parsley I planted is attractive, it's not the flavor I want when I cook. Even though I did everything with with my basil just as I should have, it's still a little limp and uninspired. And why did I think cherry tomatoes were the way to go? I think everyone knows that a dwarf or an heirloom tomato plant would have been far superior. And really, I'm not quite sure about my zucchini choice either. I mean, I love zucchini - it's versatile, attractive, hearty, yet light and filled with nutrients. But sometimes, you think you're getting one thing and it ends up to be something else entirely. This zucchini I planted is not at all what I was looking for when I went shopping. I wanted something small, something hearty and something that I would love to cook with. The zucchini I ended up with is slow growing, and like my basil, uninspired. It's like they know how to grow, but they haven't quite figured out how to do it. Waiting is certainly not always an option. So, this evening, I will definitely be heading to the grocery store to pick up some store-bought zucchini. Sometimes, you just have to continue on as planned and hope that next year's garden will learn from this year's gardening mistakes.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Ah don't talk bad about cherry tomatoes, the good thing about them is they ripen up faster so the birds have much less of a chance to eat them before they are ripe. Also, they are far less likely to split open before ripening. Though that may be more of a hot Texas weather issue than anything.