08 June 2009

Brilliant weekends must include hammers.

I miss the sound of your voice
And I miss the rush of your skin
And I miss the still of the silence
As you breathe out and I breathe in

If I could walk on water, if I can tell you what’s next
Make you believe, make you forget

So come on, get higher, loosen my lips
Faith and desire in the swing of your hips...

Little more than good music, good lyrics and generally happy music propelled me home on Sunday afternoon. I spend an enchanting day at Travis and Kate's house in Alexandria, and to be honest, I'm embarrassed to say that I've only been there once before. It's certainly going to be on the constant rotation from now on. (It's also blissfully close to Misha's house.) I rushed up there after a long and drawn out trip, but was happy to help (slightly) on the shed. 95% of what has been done thus far has been done by Trav's hands. It's rather impressive. I do love working with my hands. I have minimal wood-working experience, then there's knitting, spinning and quilting...and cooking...and gardening... I don't necessarily like to get dirty, but I do like to use my hands.

After playing in the mud and trying to help install the ceiling joists, we went to dinner at Thai Peppers in Alexandria. I've eaten there before, but was happy to enjoy some delicious Paneng Tofu, Pad Thai, Golden Triangles, and the like. Afterward, I was granted an hour for napping (and I'd had a rather long day). I slept while Travis, Misha and Trav's friend Matt all entertained (or frightened my mother). Once I was up and functioning again, it was rather a quaint scene - the lot of us sitting around a fire pit, able to see Trav's contruction project on the other side of a reflecting pool (large trench) in the yard. We joked around and chatted and watched Matt climb the fence into the neighbor's yard after he had begged us to punch him in the stomach to alleviate his hiccups. Strange, to say the least.

Despite all the silliness and ridiculousness that ensued each time I drank red wine, I was amazed again at how much I love my friends, and at how impressed I am by them. How lucky am I?

Although my trip home wasn't quite as long as the trip northbound, it was filled with lots of great music, some mediocre music and some music meant simply to keep me conscious. Matt Nathanson, The Hold Steady, The Decemberists, Abba, moe. and the Old 97s.

3 comments:

borntoride said...

also good at fixing things and installing things and reading directions and setting up roof racks.

Lisa Jane Berray said...

I love that song so much :)

bruiser said...

do I get a bi-line for introducing you to the video?