12 October 2009

Basmati, Black Bean and Corn Salad

It has been forever since I actually posted a recipe up here. I am all about using what you've got. The random ingredients that I had just happened to be the very ingredients that I needed for one of my favorite salads. I have been cooking a lot, but using other recipes from cookbooks, online or just from my brain. Here's one from my brain:

Basmati, Black Bean and Corn Salad
(I adapted this recipe adapted from The One Dish Vegetarian's Barley-Corn Salad From Sante Fe)



Salad:
1 C basmati rice, cooked and cooked (yielding roughly 2 C cooked)
2 C frozen or fresh corn kernals
1 C black beans, if canned, be sure to drain and rinse
1/2 medium green pepper, diced
1/2 medium colored pepper, diced
1 small container grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
1 jalapeno pepper, ribbed, seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon each dried parsley, basil and dill

Dressing:
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 C lemon juice
1 tablespoon rice or white vinegar
1 tablespoon white wine, broth or orange juice (white grape juice or apple juice can work too)
1 table spoon sugar
1/4 C olive oil

- Mix together all salad ingredients.
- In a bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients.
- Pour dressing over the salad and toss to coat. Add salt and pepper to taste.

1 comment:

borntoride said...

wow. that sounds and looks delish!