31 December 2009

Happy New Year's Eve

Armed with 150 letters to fold, stuff, seal and stamp, I am ready for my vacation to Asheville. It should be nice to tromp around in the woods a bit, relax with friends, deliver some holiday gifts and listen to some awesome music. My lot of friends all have tickets to go hear the Avett Brothers play tonight. It's going to be great.

Then, on Monday, I have the opportunity to meet a potential dog friend. Her name is Smiley, and she's an English Setter. You can read more about her here. She looks lovely. I hope she likes long walks in the woods, car rides and fierce cuddling. Luther's lived with other cats and dogs before, and I feel like he would be fine with a dog...although it will be an adjustment for his only-child-ways. It's just that I've been waiting so long to get a dog, and I've been hoping to find one that is friendly with people and animals and just the right size to cuddle without losing circulation in any part of my body. :)

In house news, I am really getting settled. They unpacked boxes are all relegated to the 3rd bedroom/office. I've met a handful of neighbors and gotten the mailbox key from the neighbors. I've gotten my subletters squared away. I've eaten almost half of the bearded giant's pistachios (but I don't think he minds sharing). I've acquired all of the furniture that I needed. Oh yes, and my new Bumblebee action figure is prominently displayed in the living room. Win.

This has been one hell of a year with many ups and downs. It's been a year of personal growth for me, I think. And it is only now, over 2 years after moving to North Carolina, that I feel settled. I can generally navigate all of the cities/towns close by: Raleigh, Durham, Cary, Morrisville, Apex, Chapel Hill and Carrboro. I can find a handful of knitting shops. Most importantly though, I feel happy here.

I hope that all of my friends feel happy and well-adjusted or some semblance there of, where ever they are.

Happy New Year, and good riddance to a tumultuous and enlightening decade.