28 January 2010

Snow? Really? Are you sure?

As unbelievable as it sounds, the weathermen are calling for up to a foot of snow down here in NC. I don't quite think it's possible. I mean, since I've been here, there was a dusting of snow, some sleet and slush and then an inch or two last year on inauguration day. That's hardly enough evidence to lead to a conclusion of a foot of snow. Of course, I don't have much of a handle of weather prediction...so I don't really know what I'm talking about. I can tell you this though: every time the have called for snow since I've lived here, we've either gotten rain or freezing rain.

Even though I'm a naysayer, I am planning on going to the grocery store to get some milk, eggs, beer and cheese. I mean, that seems like the essentials to me. A joking friend quipped that they would be buying "vodka, bourbon, demerol, peanut butter, and diapers." Not quite my list, but I can see that there would be some benefit to most of those items. I must say, I am not looking forward to hitting the grocery store. It is a universal truth that folks living in NC can't drive well, which makes getting to the store an adventure. And it's a second universal truth that too much time in the grocery store might make me go postal.

In other news, Ellie and I have started our training class together. I'm not sure that we're doing so well, but I have hope that we can improve. I am working hard to teach her to pay attention to me (and not the birds) when we're outside. The key to my burgeoning success: rotisserie chicken and hot dogs.

Since we're bound to be snowed in for the weekend, the bearded giant will be coming over for some one on three time (him vs. me/Ellie/Luther). I told him that if he was smart, he'd bring his feline friend, Isengaard over for some back up. I don't know if that's gonna happen, but I'm pretty sure that the Ellie/Luther combo (which is a lot like good cop/bad cop) gonna be overwhelming if we're snowed in. :) And against my better judgment, I can say that if we lose power, Ellie is TOTALLY going to sleep with us.

1 comment:

Libbet said...

It is, in fact, possible. In 2000 we actually got 22 inches. You wanna see the city come to a stand still? Damn.

I'll still believe it when I see it, though.