10 February 2010

Oh the places you'll eat...

Last week, I got to go to a wine dinner with the bearded giant at 18 Seaboard in Raleigh. The restaurant is tucked back into a nice shopping center that you might not be able to find if you didn't know it was there. (That might just have to do with my inability navigate some areas of Raleigh yet.) The service, wine, food, atmosphere and chef were all amazing. I had an outstanding time. In addition to getting to sit next to and eat with my main squeeze, I sat next to two ladies who work for Taste Carolina. After spending an incredible evening of great food, I had to promptly come home and start perusing the Taste Carolina website. I have my sights set on the Durham Taqueria Caravan. Mmmm...

American Red Snapper Ceviche
with Perry Lowe Orchard apple gratin
and a spiced Granny Smith vinaigrette

Served with O'Reilly's Pinot Gris 2008

Roasted Pheasant
house made fettuccini, butter braised fennel
and a fig foie gras butter

Served with Sharecropper's Pinot Noir 2008

Wood fire grilled lamb tenderloin
with braised red cabbage and
boulangere potatoes

Served with Ex Umbris Syrah 2008

A trio of savory bread puddings
with assorted cheeses

Served with Abbott's Table 2008

In the last week, I have had some fun cleaning, tidying, avoiding Ellie's horrendous gas and even cooking. On the recommendation of a friend, I tried making Chicken Piccata. I thought it would be difficult, but once I got started I realized that it's really a very manageable recipe. I purchased thinly sliced chicken breasts and went from there. I really enjoyed them - I LOVE capers.

Of course, anything would be good after the muffin fiasco!


I am planning on making my mom's meatloaf some time soon, which should be fun. And, in the name of loaves - I have a baking victory. Date Nut Bread. You can find the recipe here: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/moist-date-nut-bread/detail.aspx

No comments: