13 March 2010

Baby Crazies

While the bearded giant is out pouring wine like a superhero, I'm sitting at home waiting for my vinegar/water solution to soak into a couple stains in the carpet. Last night, after a long foray into tart pan shopping at the mall, the bearded giant and I tackled a few housely things. He helped me to find studs (I think I'm pretty good at that - I mean, look at him!) and hang and level pictures. I've only been living in the house for nearly 3 months...it's about time. :) He also helped me to change the set up of my den. We didn't really like where the TV was located, so we changed it up a bit. Mostly, I'm really happy with everything in my house. There are a few longer term projects that I can't wait until summer to tackle.

So, before blogging and after starting to soak the carpet, I was reflecting on the baby-production that seems to be going on. I'd say that of the kids that I went to high school with, 75% are married and of that 75% there are currently 25% who have children and another 25% who are pregnant. Whoa. That's a lot of babies. I love kids, babies, pregnancies and knitting baby type items. I am, however, having a hard time relating to those things. I mean, when I want to talk about my dog's behavioral issues, my flat screen TV and what kind of grill to buy...I definitely can't talk to those baby folks. When there are pictures of sonograms, baby bumps and shower photos...I don't know what to say. Of course, I am ECSTATIC for these friends. In fact, I think their existing children are adorable, their upcoming children will be wonderful, and I so glad that they are in a comfortable and happy family unit. But, I can't relate. AT. ALL. It just makes me feel weirdly left out of a huge cultural shift of my peers...

Here, in my newly rearranged den, I'm thinking about house repairs and saving money to go to Europe. I'm thinking about the copious bottles of wine that the bearded giant needs to open and the baked goods I need to bake. I can hardly take care of myself and a dog...let alone a baby. Wow. My hat is off to those new and expecting parents, but sometimes, I just want to talk about non baby stuff...is that wrong?

4 comments:

herding tapeworms said...

you can talk to me about europe and your dog any day. can we also talk about bagels and cream cheese?

Cindy said...

Sometimes the people with all the kids don't wanna talk about baby stuff either ;) Much less birth horror stories and diaper stories that seem to come with it. ugh.. but then I'm also probably a pretty bad Facebook offender when it comes to "random spouting about the kiddo" ... sorry.

Does vinegar and water really work well on it's own to get stains out of the carper?

Grumpy Editor said...

I don't know how to relate to those people either. Parents don't consider cats on a similar scale to kids, oddly enough. =)

Lisa Jane said...

Is it weird that I'm terrified of being "one of those people", but at the same time, absolutely freaked out by the idea of never having the chance to be one of them? I think I need a shrink....