04 March 2010

Chicken Soup with Rice

After all the drama that Ellie, the bearded giant and I have had going on in the last week, I am happy to have spent last night at home cooking. The bearded giant had a wine class on Port and Madeira (I should have gone!) and I needed a night of relaxation. For those who know me, a night of relaxation actually entails me cleaning my entire house (which I also did - read: mopped the house, ironed clothes, recycled, took the trash out). I had a few things to accomplish, and since Ellie is on pain killers and anti-inflammatory meds, she's a little out of it...which means, she requires less attention. Win!

I don't have a whole lot in the house, and I hate grocery shopping, which means making-due with what's available. I decided on a chicken and rice soup. A coworker had mentioned that her husband had made some for dinner the other night and I thought I'd make some.

Having never had a chicken and rice soup, and not having consulted a recipe, this is what I came up with:

Ingredients
2 T. olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 C. water
2 vegetable bullion cubes
1 t. hot curry powder
1 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. kosher salt
3 bay leaves
2 large bone-in chicken breasts
1/2 C. sunflower greens (or a bunch of parsley would work better - even cilantro)
1/2 C carrots, thickly sliced
1 C long-grain white rice

- In a large stock pot, combine water, bullion, curry, garlic powder, kosher salt and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer over medium high heat.
- While water is coming to a simmer, sautee onion and garlic in 2 T. olive oil until nearly soft.
- When water is simmering, add chicken breasts and onion/garlic mixture. Turn heat down to medium low and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
- With 15 minutes remaining, add sunflower greens, carrots and long grain rice.
- At the end of the 30 minutes, remove the chicken breasts with tongs or a slotted spoon. Cool on a cutting board for 3o minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- Remove chicken skin and throw away.
- Use a fork to shred chicken, then add back to soup. Allow chicken to warm up.
- Enjoy!

No comments: