04 April 2010

dirt

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." - Margaret Atwood


What a weekend! I am totally exhuasted. The bearded giant and I got the chance to do a lot of work out in the yard. In addition to ending up with a bit of a sunburn, I've also got my backyard in development. We've got some columbine, calla lilies, basil, jasmine and in the front yard, three different types salvia. Of course, I haven't yet started the raised bed garden, but that's coming. I really want to be a little further into April before I start abandoning my little seedlings out in the open.

I think we're fully stocked:
crook neck squash
basil
lavender
parsley
mint
cilantro
purple Cherokee tomatoes
arugula
butter crunch lettuce
red leaf lettuce
strawberries

from seed:
green zebra tomatoes
long purple eggplant
greek basil
bok choy
grey zucchini
California wonder orange peppers
sun gold tomatoes
sugar snap peas

and a few more that I'll start from seed outside:
beets
radishes

Oh good lord what have I done!?! How in the hell am I going to fit all of that in my little yard??



Tonight, we had burgers. Ahhh...spring time. And, as if that's not enough, last night, the bearded giant made me an amazing dinner. He made rack of lamb with a chardonnay-wilted mache and blue potatoes with thick cut, wood smoked bacon. And, on Friday, I made a delicious leek and goat cheese tart. Mmmm...I am sad that I didn't have a chance to make either the Blueberry Cornmeal Tart or the Bakewell Tart I was hoping to put together. This week though, blueberries and almonds...you're going down.

No comments: