07 July 2010

Challah

Against my acupuncturist's wishes, I'm baking bread (she doesn't mind the baking so much as the consumption) and eating cheese quesadillas (definitely wants me to cut down on the dairy). I'm on staycation today, and I'm loving it. Ellie and I got up early so that we could go for a walk before it hit 101°. It was actually fairly nice out this morning considering the oppressive heat that we're suffering through at this moment.

I've spent the day tidying, cleaning, organizing, doing laundry and, of course, baking.

There's nothing I'd rather do that bake some awesome bread and share it with some awesome neighbors and friends. On the agenda today, for my cookbook testing fun, were Individual Challah Twists. I compared the recipe to several other challah recipes and it's not all that different in content and construction. I didn't completely heed the directions of the recipe though, as usual. The recipe should yield 12 individual twists, but I only made 5. I used the remaining 7 to braid a 3-ply and a 4-ply loaf of challah. I couldn't resist. The opportunity to actually make my own challah was too irresistible - I wanted it to look like the traditional braids.

The result was magnificent. I look foward to making this recipe again in the future. Although I traditionally like a little more sweetness to my challah, and in the future, I might add a little bit of honey to sweeten it up. The crumb on this was far better than I'd imagined that it would be. After rising, it seems like there were huge airpockets in the dough. I tried very hard to degas it enough that it wouldn't be a problem, but I was skeptical. Amazingly, seems like I got the crumb right on this.

2 comments:

Grumpy Editor said...

This looks delicious!

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen said...

Wow, your challah looks beautiful!