11 August 2010

Travels to the Old Dominion

Last weekend, the giant and I headed up to the mountains of Virginia to visit with my college friends and revel in nature.  We had an amazing time.  My friend's parents own a horse farm that is next to the Appalachian Trail and which borders the Shenandoah.  In every direction, we were surrounded by beauty and nature.  Among the highlights from the weekend: really good beer, fresh homegrown produce, deer, dogs, tubing and stepping knee deep into a stream accidentally.  It was hard to come back home and head to work on Monday...and it was just hard for me to leave Virginia.  As we were driving away from the farm, I felt sad and lonely for Virginia.  The Blue Ridge Mountains shaped and influenced the first 20 years of my life, it's hard to think that they aren't in my backyard anymore.  When I think to myself of what I want my next house to look like, it's old, brick, has a sunny yard and is located in the Old Dominion state.  I'm not so sure that will be my next house, but I'm hoping that I can get back there at sometime in old age.

The Carriage House aka My House :)
I also had the chance to stop in Fredericksburg, VA, which is another one of my favorite places.  I love Virginia and it's history, and Fredericksburg is steeped in history.  It's home to George Washington's childhood home, to his first Masonic Lodge and to his sister's home.  I'm always amazed at the downtown area of Fredericksburg, which if you've never been there, is delightful.  It's got shops, stores, restaurants...and the obligatory tattoo parlor.  It's reminiscent of old town Alexandria, DC's Eastern Market and Harper's Ferry, WV.  We spent an afternoon tooling around and enjoying the atmosphere.  We stopped by the farmer's market, the college, and two of my favorite places: Hyperion Coffee and Sammy T's restaurant.

The giant at Sammy T's...
 And now, back home in NC, I'm suffering through the 90°+ temperatures, the humidity and missing Virginia.  I've been keeping myself busy with knitting again...or still, depending on how you look at it.  Last night, I finished the Aviatrix baby hat.  Tonight, I'm hoping to make some progress on figuring out Ysolda's Urchin hat.  For some reason, even consulting both the Knitty and the Ravelry patterns has left me slightly confused.  It seems that I might have to write it out row by row...  Blargh.  I'm hoping that I can crank through it and finish it tonight, but that remains to be seen...

2 comments:

Grumpy Editor said...

This amuses me because I am dying to escape Virginia! Among my choice states are Montana and Colorado (as you know) but also North Carolina. I *love* NC. Love.

Glad you had a great weekend. Sammy T's rules!

Spinning Ninny said...

I can definitely relate to your position. I didn't want to stay in VA when I was there...and then I didn't want to stay in DC when I was there. I think I like moving and new adventures, but the beauty and familiarity of the Blue Ridge tempts me constantly.