27 January 2011

Growth, expansion & internet purchasing.

These past few weeks have been busy ones, I switched jobs and I'm still getting accustomed to the new one.  I very much like the folks I'm working with, and the students that I've met thus far (mostly who've been asking for directions) have been lovely.  I spent the day today reading through the files in my office and the files on the network, trying to figure out where we've come from and where we're going.  It's always nice at the end of a day to have something nice to come home to - like doggies, kitties, seedlings and...well, I'd say the giant, but he's in bed sick with a cold.  Poor fella.

Yesterday evening, while trying to focus on my taxes after 2 gin & tonics, I stumbled upon a delightful blog: Hitchhiking to Heaven. As yet, I haven't fully had the time to explore and learn from it as I hope to, but even the first post that I found was helpful. A few things about the blog - winning points, I think - the blog's author is a prizewinning jam maker and she outlines some helpful "don'ts" of gardening.  In one short reading of this blog post and the comments, I learn a lot about what I'm doing right and what I could be doing better.  After all, I've only had a garden for one year - before that it was all container gardening.  Best ideas yet: surround your seedlings and grow light in foil to intensify the light AND put an oscillating fan near them to immigrate the wind and strength the seedlings.  Great ideas. I just need to drag my oscillating fan down to the kitchen and I can get started!  (At right, much like Hitchhiking to Heaven mentioned, I started to get a little bit of a mold problem, stemming from my bamboo fork markers.)

Each day when I come home from work, I'm consumed with adoration for my little seedling friends.  I say to the giant (who always reminds me that I say it everyday), that I could just spend all day watching my seedlings grow.  I've been so thrilled about their progress, that I'd nearly forgotten that I'd ordered some additional seeds and some gardening accouterments.  I ordered from two different websites and the first has arrived.  I normally try to get seeds from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange.  They're located in Virginia not too, too far from where I grew up.  I feel confident that their suggestions of what will grow well in the mid-Atlantic area will do well here.  Thus far, I haven't been too wrong. I an anxious to start planting the peppers, tomatoes and herbs that arrived today!


I spend so much time peering at my seedling dirt that I think I might pull an ocular muscle.  Thankfully, today, I have something to show for my intense peering.  I'm also starting to get some healthy second sets of leaves on my tomatoes and lettuces.

Now that I've had some time to play with the garden, I'd better get out and walk that dog before she starts planting unmentionables around the house.

Dolce Vita Basil Blend.........................14 seedlings
Borage....................................................2 seedlings
Oak Leaf Lettuce Blend.........................MANY seedlings!
Cherokee Purple Tomatoes....................7 seedlings
Sun Gold Tomatoes................................6 seedlings
Long Purple Eggplant............................1 seedling
California Orange Wonder Pepper
Orange Fogo Thai Chili Pepper.............1 in the process of emerging (see above)
Chocolate Habanero Pepper
Red Mushroom Pepper...........................1 in the process of emerging
Scotch Bonnet Pepper............................1 seedling!
Gypsy Pepper (forget about this one)....4 seedlings!

No comments: