24 January 2012

THIS is what a baker looks like

Let's just put it this way - I don't like to be bored.

Currently, I'm working on the following:
1 - working, living, etc
2 - planning a wedding
3 - recovering from shoulder surgery (and the resulting adhesive capsulitis)
4 - wanting to knit a sweater, but needing to wait to knit due to the shoulder
5 - converting to Judaism
6 - starting my garden
7 - baking my way through Peter Reinhart's artisan breads every day - WITH DAD!

Long story, but I got the long distance baking idea from a gay rabbi in Richmond.  Confused yet?  I think am.


I normally bake once a week.  It makes for having great breads for break, dinner, snacks, Shabbat, etc.  I've had this cookbook for over a year.  It's great and is a good read, but I've only baked a few things out of it.  I suggested to Dad that we consider jointly making our way through the book and comparing notes along the way.  He was game.  I'm very excited.

My dad and I have very different approaches to using cookbooks.  I got straight to the desired recipe, do not pass go, do not collect $200.  Dad, on the other hand, who is much more about the process and the learning than just cranking out a loaf like I am, reviews cookbooks, learns from them and truly appreciates the approach of the author.


Spring seems to be in the making here in NC.  I have many bulbs which are coming up - galanthus, crocus, narcissus, iris.  My hellebore is putting off a bloom - it didn't last year.  I'd almost forgotten what it looks like!  Hidden behind the lush new foliage is a dusty purple bloom.  Additionally, I'm hoping to start some seeds tomorrow evening with Alex's help, but in the mean time...

Today's challenge: Pain à l'Ancienne Rustic Bread from Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Every Day



No comments: